Using fai softupdate on a VServer guest -- not as straightforward as it sounds

Torsten Schlabach TSchlabach at gmx.net
Wed Oct 17 12:39:48 CEST 2007

Answering my own question:

> Nothing more happening after that.
> Any idea how I can find out what it's doing?

It was a problem on my guest, which had "only" 16 MB available on /tmp. After I fixed that (umount /mnt, so it used the harddisk rather than the ramdisk) softupdate worked.

Nevertheless, I still think that a softupdate inside a guest

* should not (try to) load any kernel modules
* should not try to detect hardware
* ...

Regards,
Torsten