configuration to boot from network card

antares atlantide antares.atlantide at hotmail.fr
Tue Nov 13 11:30:18 CET 2007

>From: Michael Tautschnig <tautschn at model.in.tum.de>
>To: antares atlantide <antares.atlantide at hotmail.fr>
>CC: linux-fai at uni-koeln.de
>Subject: Re: configuration to boot from network card
>Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 23:02:50 +0100
>
> > 2- on client
> > Begin: Running /scripts/nfs-premount ...
> >

> > mount: Device or resource busy -------------->
> >

> > Done
> > after few minutes
> > mount : Mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file ...
> > mount : Mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file ...
> > Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.
> >
> > run-init: /bin/sh : No such file ..
> > Kernel panic
> >

>As I just checked the bugs filed against FAI: Could you try to add
>nfs-common to
>/etc/fai/NFSROOT (add it to the top group of packages) and re-run
>make-fai-nfsroot
>
>Thanks,
>Michael

This is the result
root at tlon:/etc/fai# make-fai-nfsroot
Creating FAI nfsroot in /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir.
By default it needs more than 330 MBytes disk space.
This may take a long time.
/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir already exists. Removing
/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir
Creating base system using debootstrap version 1.0.0
Calling debootstrap etch /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir
http://ftp.debian.org/debian
Creating base.tgz
Upgrading /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir
Making a key pair for cfengine, please wait, this could take a minute...
Writing private key to /var/lib/cfengine2/ppkeys/localhost.priv
Writing public key to /var/lib/cfengine2/ppkeys/localhost.pub
Checking for services that may need to be restarted...done.
Checking init scripts...
Nothing to restart.
install_packages: reading config files from directory /etc/fai
WARNING: These unknown packages are removed from the installation list:
live-initramfs
Adding additional packages to /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir:
fai-nfsroot module-init-tools dhcp3-client ssh rdate lshw portmap nfs-common
bootpc rsync lftp rsh-client less dump reiserfsprogs ext2resize usbutils
hwinfo psmisc pciutils hdparm smartmontools parted mdadm lvm2 dnsutils
ntpdate dosfstools cvs jove xfsprogs xfsdump sysutils dialog discover
mdetect console-tools console-common expect iproute udev subversion
cfengine2 libapt-pkg-perl grub lilo read-edid linux-image-486
unionfs-modules-2.6-486
install_packages: reading config files from directory /etc/fai
WARNING: These unknown packages are removed from the installation list:
live-initramfs
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Done.
Moving old data out of the way
Looking for keymap to install:
NONE
Looking for keymap to install:
NONE
/sys/class/net/ is not available, persistent interface names not saved.

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link
/lib/modules/2.6.18-5-486/source
However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/2.6.18-5-486/source

Running depmod.
Finding valid ramdisk creators.
Using mkinitramfs-kpkg to build the ramdisk.
W: mkconf: MD subsystem is not loaded, thus I cannot scan for arrays.
W: mdadm: failed to auto-generate the mdadm.conf file.
W: mdadm: please read /usr/share/doc/mdadm/README.upgrading-2.5.3.gz .
W: mdadm: no configuration file available.
W: mdadm: falling back to emergency procedure in initramfs.
Backing up any LVM2 metadata that may exist...done.

Creating config file /etc/idmapd.conf with new version

Creating config file /etc/default/nfs-common with new version
Checking available versions of rmt, updating links in /etc/alternatives ...
(You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
Updating rmt (/usr/sbin/rmt) to point to /usr/sbin/rmt-dump.
Updating rmt.8.gz (/usr/share/man/man8/rmt.8.gz) to point to
/usr/share/man/man8/rmt-dump.8.gz.
W: mdadm: failed to load MD subsystem.
Generating array device nodes... done.
Creating SSH2 RSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 DSA key; this may take some time ...
`/etc/fai/apt' -> `/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/fai/apt'
`/etc/fai/apt/sources.list' ->
`/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/fai/apt/sources.list'
`/etc/fai/fai.conf' ->
`/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/fai/fai.conf'
`/etc/fai/fai.conf_save' ->
`/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/fai/fai.conf_save'
`/etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf' ->
`/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf'
`/etc/fai/menu.lst' ->
`/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/fai/menu.lst'
`/etc/fai/menu.lst_save' ->
`/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/fai/menu.lst_save'
`/etc/fai/NFSROOT' -> `/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/fai/NFSROOT'
`/etc/fai/NFSROOT_save' ->
`/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/etc/fai/NFSROOT_save'
Shadow passwords are now on.
Removing `local diversion of /usr/sbin/update-initramfs to
/usr/sbin/update-initramfs.distrib'
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-5-486
W: mdadm: unchecked configuration file: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
W: mdadm: please read /usr/share/doc/mdadm/README.upgrading-2.5.3.gz .
W: mkconf: MD subsystem is not loaded, thus I cannot scan for arrays.
W: mdadm: failed to auto-generate temporary mdadm.conf file.
W: mdadm: no configuration file available.
W: mdadm: falling back to emergency procedure in initramfs.
`/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-5-486' ->
`/srv/tftp/fai/vmlinuz-2.6.18-5-486'
`/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-5-486' ->
`/srv/tftp/fai/initrd.img-2.6.18-5-486'
DHCP environment prepared. If you want to use it, you have to enable the
dhcpd and the tftp-hpa daemon.
BOOTP environment prepared.
Removing `local diversion of /sbin/discover-modprobe to
/sbin/discover-modprobe.distrib'
make-fai-nfsroot finished properly.

Best regards Antares