Installation of an Apache httpd server with FAI

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Fri Nov 9 15:30:50 CET 2007

Dear list!

I'd be interesting in sharing experiences with installing an Apache
httpd server (with some modules, SSL, ...) using FAI.

Obviously, it's easy to define a class and select the Debian packages to
be installed, including whatever worker, PHP and other modules one wants
to install.

But due to the way Apache httpd is packaged in Debian, this does not
make a full functional webserver for most people. In most cases, one has
to enable a couple of (Apache) modules. I don't mean modules that come
in separate .deb archives (such as libapache2-mod-php5 for example) but
those which are packaged as part of apache2.2-common (such as ssl, ldap)
which need to be enabled through a2enmod.

When building a SSL enabled server, there are even some more steps needed.

If course, I can write a script which basically does step after step and
run it from FAI. But I wonder if I am missing some maybe more
sophisticated mechanisms.

Regards,
Torsten