Problem with debconf preseed and nvidia

Sjors Robroek sjors at lorentz.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Nov 8 15:58:38 CET 2007

Hi all,

i'm pretty new to this mailing list, and starting off with a question
that's been bothering me for a few days now:

Debconf does not seem to recognize my videocard automatically, so i
tried configuring it with the standard debconf preseed file. Contents of
this is as follows:

xserver-xorg   xserver-xorg/config/inputdevice/keyboard/model string pc105
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/autodetect_monitor         boolean true
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/autodetect_keyboard        boolean true
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/autodetect_mouse           boolean true
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/autodetect_video_card      boolean false
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/device/driver       select nvidia
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/device/identifier   string nVidia
Quadro FX 440

However, instead of recognizing the card as vesa it will set the driver
string to apm. I suspect this is because nvidia-glx is not installed yet
at the moment xserver-xorg gets configured, causing the choice nvidia to
not be available.

Is there a way to either force debconf to set driver to nvidia wether or
not it exists, or to make sure nvidia-glx is installed before
xserver-xorg is configured?

Greetings,

Sjors Robroek