Ubuntu 7.10 - "live/filesystem.dir" and "read only filesystem"

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Thu Nov 8 12:12:48 CET 2007

[...]
> I am trying to setup FAI with Ubuntu 7.10.<br>
> Following the documentation, I got an FAI server running (but buggy)
> and a client booting from PXE.<br>
> *) The first thing I don't understand is why the NFSROOT is located in
> According to /etc/exports (automaticly generated) the server exports
> /srv/fai/nfsroot (as a "ro" filesystem).<br>

The export is fine, as live-initramfs takes care of doing the right thing then.

> So nfs-client install cannot mount the device saying:<br>
> "mount failed 13<br>
> "mount: device is busy<br>
> And endless loop on this message.<br>

This is strange and definitely some kind of error, but I've never seen this so
far. What does the log on your FAI server say about the mount request?

> *) The second question is "Do I have to change PXE boot definition to
> point on "/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir" ?<br>
> I've already tried to do so, and I get messages saying that filesystem
> is "read only" (so it can't "touch" or write some files).<br>
> Seems to be fine because this filesystem has to be mounted as a "live
> system" during install process.<br>
> So why do it try to write something in it ?<br>
> <u><br>

There are parts that need to be written on every boot-up, just temporary things.
Prior to live-initramfs this was solved by mounting parts of the file system as
tmpfs. Now live-initramfs takes care of everything.

You definitely need to debug the mount problem, possibly by checking the logs on
the server.

HTH,
Michael

PS.: No HTML mails please!!!