linux-fai Digest, Vol 5, Issue 4

Alvin Cura alvin.cura at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 18:25:06 CET 2007

> What I need is to have one fai server with all configurations and
> classes and a bootable cdrom which will boot the client, mount nfsroot
> and start the installation. My classes will be change several times and
> I don't want to burn a cd each time.
> Is there a way to do this in previous version or the fai-cd is the only
> way know ?

Salut Jean-Paul,

If I understand your question correctly, I think there are perhaps two
ways to go about this:

1.)  If your clients have access to the network, which I assume is the
case if you wish to have a single central server, then perhaps making
an etherboot floppy will serve your purpose.  The etherboot floppy
simply has a PXE client and drivers for network cards, and the rest is
done from the server, eliminating the need to make a CD each time.
You can find etherboot floppy images at http://etherboot.anadex.de/

2.)  If your clients do not have access to the network, then you can
make a fai-cd that has the nfsroot and other pertinent stuff on it,
and save your configuration directory to a floppy, eliminating the
need to burn a new CD every time you make changes.  Of course, this
assumes that your configuration doesn't have huge files in it.
Alternatively, perhaps you could use a usb stick for this same
purpose?

Hopefully this helps.  Or at least gives you ideas of things to try.

Best regards,
- alvinc