NIS on private network

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Thu May 31 11:20:33 CEST 2007

Hi,

this might be a semi-OT question, feel free to flame me off-list...

I've got to setup NIS on a compute cluster. The NIS master server has two
network interfaces, eth0 is public and eth1 private. Of course, NIS should
be delivered only to the private network (/etc/ypserv.securenets).
Apparently there is no way to force ypbind to use the private network if
I use the broadcast option (command-line or /etc/yp.conf): requests will
be sent out only via eth0 (not even loopback!) and will get stuck. Same
for other head nodes - for obvious reasons, the compute nodes are fine.

Of course one solution would be to specify ypserver entries in /etc/yp.conf
(instead of broadcast), but: can this be done in a more general fashion?
(this is where FAI enters the stage: I'm hesitant to add yet another class)

Hints welcome.

Cheers,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/