10-base-classes with i386 and amd64 nfsroot

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Tue May 15 08:57:33 CEST 2007

[...] (way too complicated approach...)

Why don't you just keep class/hostname as it is and rather do the following
10-base-classes script:

case $HOSTNAME in
  bla) echo IA32 ;;
  blubb) echo IA32 ;;
  *)
    if egrep -q '^flags:.* lm$|flags:.* lm ' /proc/cpuinfo
    then
            echo AMD64
    fi
    ;;
esac

[...]
>  Also I'm not sure how FAI will react to having the IA32/AMD64 classes not
>  after DEFAULT, but somewhere in the middle.

The above should avoid any such trouble, but anyway: FAI will do what you
configured it to do, so this may cause some problems or not. If you have IA32
specific scripts or files, and at the same time some, say, GRUB-class-specific
ones, it will interfer, otherwise it won't. (Most probably it won't, but that's
just a wild guess)

HTH,