Ubuntu local loopback device missing [SOLVED]

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Fri Jun 22 15:25:52 CEST 2007

Mario Fetka wrote:
> my solution was remove the need for an extra var partition and put averything
> to / (modifie relevant disk_config)

This is no solution, but a workaround :)

I could not find the other thread where this is talked about.
What solved it for me is add a script containing this to the Ubuntu class:

$ROOTCMD umount /var
$ROOTCMD mkdir /var/run
$ROOTCMD mount /var

I remember there is some strange comment in one of ubuntu's init scripts
that even says, that someone must create this directory, because they
use tmpfs for var run, but nobody actually does - it's somewhere in the
installer where this happens - and for me, also an upgrade from breezy
to dapper failed horribly, or gave me bad resulkts because of this.

Henning