Client password setup

Holger Parplies wfai at parplies.de
Wed Jun 20 19:00:24 CEST 2007

Hi,

Alex Volkov wrote on 20.06.2007 at 12:31:45 [Client password setup]:
> I'm trying to set up password for a target machine, so far I used
> default 'fai' password and also was able to set it to nothing using
> ROOTPW='' directive in class file. But now I need to set it to something
> appropriate. The documentation says that I can use md5sum or crypt, so I
> tried
> $echo "secretpassword" | md5sum
> and then setting ROOTPW directive to the resulting md5 hash, but It did
> not work, so I'm asking, how to do it properly.

the easiest way is probably with 'passwd' and copying the resulting string
from /etc/shadow (if you want the same root password on the client as on the
FAI server, you can simply copy root's password field from /etc/shadow).

The man pages passwd(5) and shadow(5) reference crypt(3) which explains the
details. You can probably write a small C program which encrypts a password
with crypt() for you. 'perldoc -f crypt' suggests that you can do the same
in Perl.

Regards,
Holger