locales settings

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 10:06:24 CEST 2007

On 6 Jun 2007, at 8:05 am, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since I started installing etch I get this error (when something
> uses perl):
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or
> directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
> directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
>

> I haven't got a thing in my fai config space saying a thing about
> locales.
>
> I can let the messages go away by installing the locales packages
> and setting that locale as installed.  But that doesn't solve my
> question. Where is it set that the locale must be "en_US.UTF-8" ?

Set the locale you want in the FAI debconf settings.  For example, we
don't set a default locale here, so /srv/fai/config/debconf/FAIBASE
contains:

locales locales/default_environment_locale      select  None

but we also do generate a standard set of locales, so we also have
the following line:

locales locales/locales_to_be_generated multiselect     en_GB
ISO-8859-1, en_GB.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15, en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8,
en_GB.UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8, en_IE ISO-8859-1, en_IE.UTF-8 UTF-8,
en_IE at euro ISO-8859-15, en_US ISO-8859-1, en_US.ISO-8859-15
ISO-8859-15, en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

Regards,

Tim