fai-multi-distribution with Ubuntu support released

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at gmx.net
Wed Jun 6 08:55:49 CEST 2007

Hi all,

Just throwing in various bits here, I don't know if they will be helpful
at all.

Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> [...]
/tmp/xxx/var/run/network

> > I fixed it by making /var/run/network (and /var/run/lock I think) before
> > making the base image tar ball.

Ubuntu uses tmpfs for both /var/run as well as /var/lock:
$ mount | grep var
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)

So that might be the reason for this. I had to manually alter a few
(Debian) start scripts to do a "mkdir -p /var/run/something/" when
porting Debian packages to Ubuntu.

> > I also have a problem that my installation sets up my fstab with
> > /dev/hdaX, but when rebooting ubuntu sees /dev/sda.
> >

>From feisty on my experience is that everything is used as /dev/sd? and
/dev/hd? is not used anymore. A machine with a SATA and a PATA disk
looks like this:

$ mount |egrep '(sd|hd)'
/dev/sda2 on / type xfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/sda4 on /home type xfs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/backup type xfs (rw)

Here sda is the SATA disk and sdb is PATA. Since Ubuntu uses disk-uuids
for mounting partitions it simply does not care anymore where the
partitions are located, even if you move them offline. That's something
I would like to see more  ;)

> > Maybe I need to use the ubuntu debootstrap.

Maybe. If you simply need the resulting system as a tarball I can send
you one  :)

Cheers & HTH

Carsten

PS: sorry for all who get this post twice, I need to change my email
address for this list, please bear with me.