mknod during install

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 20 16:13:54 CEST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jens Dreger" <jens.dreger at physik.fu-berlin.de>
To: <linux-fai at uni-koeln.de>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: mknod during install

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 11:52:22AM -0500, John Heim wrote:
>> I'm trying to make my machines come up talking via the linux screen
>> reader
>> 'speakup'. To do that, I have to make a device file thusly:
>>
>> # mknod /dev/softsynth c 10 26
>
> Try:
>
>  ${ROOTCMD} mknod /dev/softsynth c 10 26
>
> The device node needs to be created on the root-filesystem of the
> install client, not in the nfsroot.
>
> HTH,

Oh! So that's what this means:

>Make use of FAI's environment variables to determine what to do in your
>configuration scripts! Some of the most important ones:
>ROOTCMD contains a command for chrooting into the client. This is empty
>when doing softupdates (as / is already our root...).

I may be the newest linux newbie ever to get FAI working. It's really a
testament to how well written the FAI guide is.  A newbie like myself
probably shouldn't be trying this but I think the guide is written as if it
were going to be read by people who already know something about linux.
That's understandable, of course. But a lot of it went over my head.  Man, I
sure learned a lot about linux while setting this up.

1. nfs
2. chroot
3. dpkg details
4.  how to make a debian repository
5. how to make a debian mirror
6. how to write init scripts

I even learned how to make a deb package. The screen reader has a component
that does not have a debian source or binary package.  So I made one myself.