excluding cfengine from install

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Wed Jul 18 15:27:34 CEST 2007

Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > Where I work, we roll our own cfengine binaries to keep the version
>     > consistent.

What do you mean with "keep the version consistent"?
You always want to keep the same version (and, I guess, mainly the same
functionality, even)?

> I've found that adding "cfengine2" to the exclude flag in
>     > make-fai-nfsroot.conf does not prevent cfengine from installing.

I see an inconsistency between the subject of the mail and this last
sentence.

Do you want to prevent cfengine from being installed in the nfsroot or
in the installed client, or both?

I don't think cfengine is pulled into the nfsroot at debootstrap-time,
but rather at the point when make-fai-nfsroot pulls some additional
packages in (after building the base image that is used for the actual
installation, I think).

To get your special cfengine version into the nfsroot, you need to:

1) build your specific version as a "real" debian package
2) put this version into your own apt repository
3) either take care that your deb always has a higher version number as
the debian debs, so it's selected automatically, or explcitly set the
version number to be used in /etc/fai/NFSROOT

Henning