amd64 and i386 server on the same box

Alex Volkov avolkov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 00:16:32 CEST 2007

Hello all,
I'm trying to configure fai-server to be able to install both i386 and
amd64 architectures. I already have fai installed an running as a amd64
server on amd64 hardware, now I'd like to add ability to deploy i386
boxes using the same machine.
I'm trying to follow these instructions:
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/FAI_Cross-architecture
but I always get an error when I'm trying to build nfsroot(contents
of /srv/fai/nfsroot/debootstrap.log):

dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin
and /sbin.

I checked path and even tried exporting PATH before running
make-nfs-root, but no avail. I hope someone could help me.

Also in my config I have a class that installs package
linux-image-2.6-amd64 do I have to use config file for that file, or I
just declare this package in AMD64 class and declare
linux-image-2.6.-i686 in some class that is executed before AMD64?

Alex