problems after LVM+RAID install

Sam Vilain sam at vilain.net
Sun Jul 8 16:25:50 CEST 2007

Toni Mueller wrote:
> * Installation takes a LOOOOONNNNGGG time (about 1.5-2 hours), due to
>   the fact that the aforementioned script, along with disk_setup,
>   requires multiple runs through formatting the disks, and also
>   re-creating the RAID(s) on every install. I'd like to speed this up,
>   but don't quite know how.
>
>   Is using this script recommended, or how far is disk_setup2 from
>   completion?
>
> Last, but not least, I'm unable to mail the author of that script
> because his and my mail systems don't interact quite well. I'd really
> like to talk to him, but I'll just dump the modifications to this list
> when I'm done with it if I can't make contact.

Hi Toni,

The LVM+RAID patched version of setup_harddisks I wrote does everything
in a single pass, though it still can't avoid the delays caused by mkfs
on large filesystems.

It's in SVN somewhere but frankly I've lost the patience for getting
anything sensible out of SVN these days so here's the link to the file
from Catalyst's gitweb

http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gw?p=fai.git;a=blob;f=bin/setup_harddisks;h=5812686;hb=44b6854

Sam.