FAI cancel client install during HD partitioning.

Marcelo Santana marcgsantana at yahoo.com.br
Mon Jan 15 20:38:18 CET 2007

Hi folks.

I'd like to know if someone already installed beowulf cluster with HP
Proliant DL360 machines using FAI, because I've had difficulties to
install the operational system in the client stations.  I'm using
testing version of debian and I've got to install the FAI server
without bigger difficulties, selecting the msdos signature type during
the HD partitioning.  However, when I try to install in the stations
the process always is cancelled during the formatting of the HD, with
the following error message:

----------------------#----------------------#----------------------------

Partitioning local harddisks
setup_harddisks version 0.40fai
Probing disks:  /dev/cciss/c0d0
Disks found:Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: cannot get geometry

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
/dev/cciss/c0d0: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

Using config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/FAIBASE
ERROR: could not read device /dev/cciss/c0d0
Mapping disk name disk1 to cciss/c0d0
setup_harddisks version 0.40fai
Probing disks:  /dev/cciss/c0d0
Disks found:

Using config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/FAIBASE
Mapping disk name disk1 to cciss/c0d0

As you can see in the 20-hwdetect.source attached archive, I modified
that to add modules evdev, cciss, scsi_mod, piix and tg3, during boot
of kernel 2.6.18-fai-kernels. I'm sending also the fai.log archive to
assist in the troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Sorry for my poor english.

Best,