Creating image file ... failed during creation with mke2fs !

Javi Legido javilegido at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 16:07:05 CET 2007

Hi.

I have fai 3.1.6 installed on a Debian system, but when I try to
create an iso image with fai-cd I get this error:

Creating image file ... failed during creation with mke2fs !

I try to sumarize the steps I followed:

0. I get my own testing mirror from http://ftp.debian.org. It works,
because I'm using it via my sources.list

1. aptitude install fai-quickstart

2. Edit config files:

/etc/fai/fai.conf
/etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf

3. Done the link inside my Apache's documentroot (I had it installed before)

4. Install these packages:

-ssh
-debmirror
-mknbi
-apt-move
-mkinitrd-cd

Maybe there is the trouble, because I had to install it via 'apt-get
install -f' or something like that, I remember, because this package
is not present in the testing distribution. Anyway, the packages is
properly installed, if we see the 'dpkg -l' output below

-grub

5. fai-setup

It finished properly. At least, this two lines were present:

make-fai-nfsroot finished properly.
Re-exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
FAI setup finished.

6. Copy the examples of config files:

cp -a /usr/share/doc/fai-doc/examples/simple/* /srv/fai/config/

7. Try to generate an iso image:

fai-cd -m /srv/fai/nfsroot/ /my_dir/imagen_fai.iso

The output I got:

The largest module will need 227154 bytes to be unzipped.
Creating / copying binaries and libraries ...
    Installing binaries in temporary file structure ... done
    Creating config files in temporary file structure ... done
    Copying uClibc ... done
Copying bootup files ... done
The image will take 4169 kb (including 321 kb of free space for temp files).
Creating image file ... failed during creation with mke2fs !

My packages installed:

(fai)

ii  fai-client                        3.1.6
Fully Automatic Installation client package
ii  fai-doc                           3.1.6
Documentation for FAI
ii  fai-kernels                       1.15
special kernels for FAI (Fully Automatic Ins
ii  fai-quickstart                    3.1.6
Fully Automatic Installation quickstart pack
ii  fai-server                        3.1.6
Fully Automatic Installation server packa

(ssh)

ii  openssh-client                    4.3p2-8
Secure shell client, an rlogin/rsh/rcp repla
ii  openssh-server                    4.3p2-8
Secure shell server, an rshd replacement
ii  ssh                               4.3p2-8
Secure shell client and server (transitional

(debmirror)

ii  debmirror                         20060907.1
Debian partial mirror script, with ftp and p

(mknbi)

ii  mknbi                             1.4.4-1
Create tagged images for Etherboot or Netboo

(apt-move)

ii  apt-move                          4.2.26-1
Maintain Debian packages in a package pool

(mkinitrd-cd)

ii  mkinitrd-cd                       0.52
Creates an initrd image for booting from a l

I readed that fai-nfsroot package is not necessary. I try to install
anyway, but was impossible, because it have to be installed inside the
nsfroot.
I didn't find any log that can help me.
I been googling, and all I found is that helpful mail list.
Can someone help me? I only want fai to generate a bootable unattended
cd to install debian on a pc.

Thanks

Javier