Problem with package removal...

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Fri Feb 16 23:04:03 CET 2007

Hey, I have an issue where a package I am choosing to install is being
removed, indirectly when removing a package I don't know.  The system
didn't used to do this one, but maybe someone fixed the package
dependencies or something.

So here's my conf file:

PACKAGES aptitude AMD64
memtest86+ udev openssh-server rsync cvs cvs2cl mkisofs sudo ntp ntpdate
bzip2 vim linux32 ncurses-dev ant ibm-j2sdk1.4 ant-optional
libxerces-java libxml-commons-resolver1.1-java python pyro
linux-image-2.6.20-fai-client ibm-j2sdk1.4 lm-sensors libsensors3 rpm
makedev make ia32-libs

PACKAGES aptitude DHCPC
dhcp3-client

PACKAGES aptitude GRUB
grub lilo-

PACKAGES aptitude LILO
lilo grub-

PACKAGES remove
gcj-4.1-base libgcj-common libgcj7-0 libgcj7-jar java-gcj-compat

Basically, there are several java packages I install for the class
AMD64.  I dunno exactly what happens, but in the process of all this
stuff, gcj-base gets pulled down (or it happens somewhere else).  I
don't want this package, so I remove it, but this seems to take ant,
ant-optional, and a couple other java related packages with it.

Is there a way I can tell fai to only remove the packages I explicitly
tell it to?

-carl

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall