FAI 3.2 released

Per Foreby perf at ddg.lth.se
Wed Aug 22 16:23:37 CEST 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Thomas Lange wrote:

>    > Will softupdate work if a use fai-client 3.2 against a 3.1.8 server?
> I'm not sure, but I guess it should work.

Ok, I'll give it a try an report any success. Since I used your
repository in sources.list, and is in the middle of a major upgrade,
about half of the clients have fai-client 3.1.8 and the rest 3.2, so I
have a perfect test environment.

>    > What happens to the small boot cd (make-fai-bootfloppy -B -i ...). Is
>    > that option still available now that fai uses initramfs?
> It's still available and was not modified, so it does not support
> the initrd.

But make-fai-bootfloppy uses $NFSROOT/boot/vnlinu?-*. If that is a
standard debian kernel it won't work without initramfs.

I can of course edit make-fai-bootfloppy to make is use the kernel from
fai-kernels, but I presume that this package won't be updated in the
future.

>    > (I use that method for older PXE bios versions that don't honour
>    > next-server.)
> You can create a fai-cd that only includes the kernel and initrd and
> modify the grub menu, to get the nfsroot via NFS.

Do you meen that I should use -g to supply a menu.lst like the one
make-fai-boot creates, and then use "-m /empty/dir"?

/Per