Random hangs during installation

Per Foreby perf at ddg.lth.se
Tue Aug 21 01:26:51 CEST 2007

Using fai-kernels 1.17+etch2 the installation hangs at random points
during the installation. Sometimes it hangs during boot, typically at
"Waiting for /dev to be populated". Other times it hangs during package
transfer och some other point. As far as I can see, it looks totally
random, and happens on all sorts of hardware.

The computer is totally hanged (unpingable, keyboard dead.)

If I install a computer lab with 12 computers, typically 5 hang. After
restarting the five, maybe two hang. An installation that should take 20
minutes takes hours this way.

I have no custom kernel options, just stock configuration from the
examples.

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I don't really have time to keep upp with
the fai discussions between the major releases.

/Per