BIOS

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Sat Aug 18 07:59:39 CEST 2007

Hi Holger,

Holger Levsen wrote:

> Are you aware that you can flash many bioses from linux now? Read
> http://www.hermann-uwe.de/blog/flashing-a-bios-the-linux-way-tm-using-flashrom
> to learn more, it's packaged and in sid, but a backport to etch is trivial.

We have seen Uwe's planet post about this and it works for many boards.
Nice thing, however, there is the uncertainty that after flashing the
BIOS from within Linux the settings (nvram/cmos/whatever you want to
call it) might be screwed up. Most importantly, if the boot order during
flashing is reset, we would be screwed. Since the next reboot would most
certainly not have PXE as is first boot option.

Especially, the SuperMicro boards store settings out of reach for
/dev/nvram thus we would need the DOS image stuff anyways :(

But thanks for the pointer.

Carsten