BIOS

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 11:26:05 CEST 2007

On 9 Aug 2007, at 10:03 am, Steffen Grunewald wrote:

>>> we are interested in flashing a BIOS image and in manipulating
>>> the NVRAM of the motherboard
>>> automatically.
>> Wow. Do you really need this?
>>
>>> Unfortunately, using certain vendors, the access to the NVRAM is
>>> not straightforward.
>>> These vendors are offering DOS tools only, to write in the NVRAM,
>>> hence, we have to boot
>>> a DOS image and here starts the trouble.
>> You can boot a DOS or floppy image using PXE. This is how a
>> pxelinux.cfg looks like for booting a floppy image:
>>
>> default dos
>> label dos
>>  kernel memdisk
>>  append keeppxe initrd=floppy.img
>>
>> But AFAIR I had no success, because the dos flashing utilities seems
>> to wanna have a real floppy, not a fake of a floppy.
>
> It worked here, but I think that's something Henning has got
> running too.
> The problem is to tell the server to swap its PXE config file for
> this particular
> machine *after* the flash has been completed but *before* rebooting
> (automatically
> or by power cycle/IPMI reset). It'd be necessary to send some kind
> of "signal"
> to the server (a dummy tftp request is what I've done in the past,
> at least from
> a tomsrtbt image I used to perform some partitioning magic).
> Therefore, it would
> be nice to have a network stack under freedos (which the BIOS flash
> disks nowadays
> are based on).

RLX got around this with their blade deployment system in a very
hacky way; the DOS image they used included the Windows for
Workgroups TCP/IP stack, and therefore SMB support, and they used
this to update a status file for the node being deployed back on the
Control Tower DHCP server.  Nasty, but it worked.

Tim