10-base-classes with i386 and amd64 nfsroot

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Mon Apr 30 18:54:40 CEST 2007

[...]
>  spring:/# echo $classes
>  DEFAULT LINUX I386 FAIBASE UGENT GRUB AMD64 X4100 spring LAST
>
>  So for some reasong I386 and AMD64 are defined.
>
>  DEFAULT LINUX I386: are defined by the 10-base-classes script.
>
>  FAIBASE UGENT GRUB: by 50-host-classes
>
>  AMD64 X4100: by spring file in classes directory.
>
>  Now in 50-host-classes I can see:
>  [ -x "`which dpkg`" ] \
>     && dpkg --print-installation-architecture | tr a-z A-Z
>
>  And when I run that in my nfsroot it prints I386.  Because it is a i386
>  nfsroot.
>
>  I could remove that line, and manually define I386 or AMD64, but the file
>  says I should do that :-)

[...]

While we don't use a common nfsroot for AMD64 and I386 at our site, we
still don't use the dpkg --print-installation-architecture thing here. One
reason for that is that we also want to distinguish between AMD and Intel
processors. So we are using the following to define the respective classes:

if grep AMD /proc/cpuinfo | grep -q 64 ; then
  echo AMD64
elif grep -q AMD /proc/cpuinfo ; then
  echo AMD
else
  echo IA32
fi

This is definitely not the most reliable code, but it seems to work properly
here. However, we currently only have a single AMD64 system, so there might be
cases that this code does not catch. Feedback would be most welcome...

Best,