upgrade FAI 2.10.2 to FAI 3

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Sat Apr 21 16:06:31 CEST 2007

On 4/20/07, Rudy Gevaert <Rudy.Gevaert at ugent.be> wrote:
> Hello Henning
>
> Henning Sprang wrote:
>
> > Why? I didn't try that much myself, but as far as I know, there are
> > some people running FAI 3 on sarge happily.
> > if you are eager to run the newest Debian version on your install
> > server, that's another thing - but don't blame the FAI upgrade then :)
>
> Ah, I thought it was mandatory to upgrade to etch to run FAI 3.

>   > Last but not least, as said in another thread just yesterday, I'd not
> > recommend to create an extra nfsroot for each distribution/version -
> > because your configspace might be depending on a specific version.
> > Instead, use the features for multiple base images to install
> > different versions from one nfsroot as long as you can.
>
> I'm now also convinced it's also better not to run several nfsroots.
> But what with installing 64 and 32 bit machines.  Can I do this with the
> same NFS root?

I have no experience with 64 bit HW, but I think it _should_ work.
The only prerequisite to make it really easy (otherwise, some more
hacking is needed, but it's still possible, I think) is having
386_64/amd64 hardware available on the install server.

Because, to install a 64bit userland system on the client, you also
need a base.tgz that contains a minimal debootstrapped 64bit system -
the 32 bit nfsroot will run on the 64 bit machine with no problems,
and it has not problem to extract the base.tgz - then, when the FAI
scripts chroot in the 64bit client system to make adjustments and
install software, the 64bit userland code runs on the client
processor.

It's possible to chose the arch when running debootstrap - so you can
create 32bit and 64bit base.tgz images on your 64bit server.

Henning