upgrade FAI 2.10.2 to FAI 3

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Fri Apr 20 09:44:49 CEST 2007

Hello Henning

Henning Sprang wrote:

> Why? I didn't try that much myself, but as far as I know, there are
> some people running FAI 3 on sarge happily.
> if you are eager to run the newest Debian version on your install
> server, that's another thing - but don't blame the FAI upgrade then :)

Ah, I thought it was mandatory to upgrade to etch to run FAI 3.

  > Last but not least, as said in another thread just yesterday, I'd not
> recommend to create an extra nfsroot for each distribution/version -
> because your configspace might be depending on a specific version.
> Instead, use the features for multiple base images to install
> different versions from one nfsroot as long as you can.

I'm now also convinced it's also better not to run several nfsroots.
But what with installing 64 and 32 bit machines.  Can I do this with the
same NFS root?

Also, I read etch comes with cfengine2, but if I keep my sarge nfsroot
Idon't have to change my cfengine1 scripts.  Right?  Only if I do  a
chroot into the new system I have to know what is running.

Thanks to everyone for their comments too.

Rudy