managing passwords

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Tue Apr 10 17:47:05 CEST 2007

Am Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:53:01 +0200
schrieb Rudy Gevaert <Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking into softupdate and have a question about password management.
>
> E.g. we have a slapd.conf file that needs a a password in it.  Up till
> now (not using softupdate) I fcopy the slapd.conf file on installation,
> and then afterwards I put the password in it.
>
> If I would use softupdate and fcopy copies each time the template I
> would have to edit it each time.
>
> But on the otherhand there shouldn't be any local modified files... so
> you would have to put the passwords on the install server.   But each
> install server can be mounted from any machine that is hooked onto the
> installation subnet...
>
> How are you handling passwords in your environment?

We have a special secured database as backend for data which shouldn't be freely available to all.
I query this database with the active ethX mac address and voila got all the data I need for rollout.

To be more precise, the deployment network is not accessible from the production/management network.

Regards,

\sh
--
Stephan Hermann