Testing changes in FAI

Jens Dreger jens.dreger at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 20 10:06:05 CEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:47:09AM +0200, Patrick Cornelißen wrote:
> Jens Dreger schrieb:
>
> > We have a fairly large CVS based FAI installation based on a modified
> > 2.8.4.9 fai version. I'm in the process of converting that to 2.10.x
> > on ubuntu right now. Most annoying change is that 2.10.x will not run
> > scripts named S[0-9][0-9]*, so you have to rename the scripts to
> > [0-9][0-9]*, which CVS can't (easily) do. This applies to scripts
> > defining classes, too.
>
> I'd recommend to switch to subversion. It's much better for stuff like
> this. (There is also a conversion utility, which preserves the whole
> history)

We tested subversion and the repo was made unusable by a user hitting
CTRL-C during checkout at the wrong time. We changed the backend from
BDB to something else, which should "not have this problem so often".
What the ... ?

Initial checkout also takes much longer with svn. Installs only have
initial checkouts, to this time matters. We might change to svn if it
was faster than cvs.

I renamed the RCS files of the scripts, this preserves the revision
history. Good enough.

Regards,

Jens.

--
Jens Dreger                      Freie Universitaet Berlin
dreger at physik.fu-berlin.de       Fachbereich Physik - ZEDV