with 3~beta21 too, was: Re: "E: Broken packages" with 2.8

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Mon Sep 18 12:28:31 CEST 2006

Hi Toni,

On 9/18/06, Toni Mueller <support-fai at oeko.net> wrote:
> [...]
> I band-aided the problem and turned the 'install' into an 'aptitude' in
> fai/NFSROOT,
>removing some conflicting packages by hand.
> Is that the
> suggested course of action, or am I heading for other problems (except
> maybe increased disk usage)?

Maybe you will be missing programs needed in the install process in
the nfsroot if yoiu just randomly remove packages.

You are using a developer version from the FAI apt repository, or the
version from Debian testing. Fai 3 and above isn't made to work on a
sarge server and to install sarge clients. This has been announced a
while ago.

We still might be able to add smaller fixes which are easy for us to
apply if there is no too much work to help you keep using fai 3 and
above with sarge, but it will not be our focus.
But If the only change that make FAI 3 still work on sarge, to install
sarge, are in the config files, then  this should be documented in the
wiki, I think.  Would be nice of you if you could provide you full
NFSROOT config file there to help others.

Henning