with 3~beta21 too, was: Re: "E: Broken packages" with 2.8

Toni Mueller support-fai at oeko.net
Sat Sep 16 21:48:53 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Wed, 11.05.2005 at 10:00:57 +0200, Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE> wrote:
>     > 2.6.5. it seems that there are really broken packages somewhere.
> Call make-fai-nfsroot -v and see which package is broken.

trying to build an install server on a sarge system for installing
sarge, but with FAI 3~beta21, I also had

# fai-setup
... some messages here...
Upgrading /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
Adding additional packages to /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot:
fai-nfsroot module-init-tools dhcp3-client ssh rdate lshw hwinfo
portmap bootpc rsync wget lftp rsh-client less dump reiserfsprogs
usbutils psmisc pciutils hdparm smartmontools parted mdadm lvm2
dnsutils ntpdate dosfstools cvs xfsprogs xfsdump sysutils dialog
discover mdetect libnet-perl netcat libapt-pkg-perl console-tools
console-common cfengine2 expect iproute vim debian-keyring apt-proxy
python-twisted-conch libapache-mod-perl libapache-mod-ssl
moinmoin-common python-moinmoin emacs21 emacs21-el pymacs latex-ucs
tetex-extra latex-ucs-uninames texlive-lang-german grub lilo dmidecode
hwtools read-edid
E: Broken packages
ERROR: 25600 25600

... some more messages, and then:

FAI setup finished.

So, according to your advice above, I ran the make-fai-nfsroot alone:

# make-fai-nfsroot -v
... lots of messages here, then:
  texlive-lang-german: Depends: texlive-common but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
ERROR: 25600 25600
... some more messages, and then:

make-fai-nfsroot finished properly.

Well, what is a successful NFSROOT, then, if packages fail to install
properly, and how can I tell the difference between a successful and a
failed install in such a case, except for applying my personal
judgement and agree that texlive-something might not be that important?

Also, why are these packages, now listed in the file

This is all i386 and sarge, except for the FAI versions which are
somewhat mixed (latest of everything, preferred release 'koeln')...

I think I'm a bit confused at this point. 8-\

So far, I'm iterating over the output of make-fai-nfsroot -v, adding
packages to /etc/fai/NFSROOT as I go. There should be a better way.

Best,
--Toni++