Build nfs root for Woodcrest

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Thu Sep 14 16:10:02 CEST 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:28:19AM +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> What one could do:
>
> - Boot your x86_64 with some sort of live-CD or anything else that gets you into
>   a native x86_64 environment

OK, got this one fixed with a little help from my friends, who gave me an EEpro/100.
Perfect for now. RAID is not an issue on this machine (that's the other one :-)

> - install the necessary FAI packages there and run make-fai-nfsroot

apt-get install fai-server fai-kernels # fine
fai-setup -v # causes problems:

Setting up mdadm (2.5.2-7) ...
W: failed to load RAID subsystem.
Generating device nodes... done.
Generating mdadm.conf... done.
invoke-rc.d: initscript mdadm-raid, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing mdadm (--configure):

Is there any quick fix?
Trying to remoce mdadm from the package list at the end of make-fai-nfsroot.conf,
I get

E: package cfengine has no installation candidate

and indeed "testing"/"etch" doesn't have cfengine (as package.debian.org shows).
So I follow their suggestion to replace it with cfengine2 (not knowing whether
the two are really interchangeable - at a first glance there is no /usr/bin/cfengine
anymore!), and by supplying the proper kernel, I succeeded building the nfsroot.

How to proceed? Will cfengine2 do instead of cfengine? Will I have to add sarge
repositories to the sources.list files to get cfengine?

Suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
 Steffen