package postgresql fail

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Sun Sep 10 18:48:03 CEST 2006

> Hi Michael
> here is my log snip (only postgresql)
>
> -------------
> Selecting previously deselected package postgresql.
> Unpacking postgresql (from .../postgresql_7.4.7-6sarge2_i386.deb) ...
> Adding group `postgres' (102)...
> Adding system user `postgres'...
> Adding new user `postgres' (100) with group `postgres'.
> Creating home directory `/var/lib/postgres'.
> Setting up postgresql-client (7.4.7-6sarge2) ...
> Setting up postgresql (7.4.7-6sarge2) ...
> Creating config file /etc/postgresql/postmaster.conf with new version
> Creating config file /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf with new version
> postgresql failed to start. /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d is probably broken.
> --------------------

Ok, I think I've found the reason for your problems: postgresql.postinst uses
start-stop-daemon to run the script that runs initdb. But start-stop-daemon is a
diverted by fai throughout the installation to keep daemons from starting.

I think (Thomas, is this correct?), FAI 3 will use policies instead of diverting
start-stop-deamon; on the other hand, the postgresql version in testing/unstable
uses a completely new infrastructure in postinst, thus it might work with FAI
2.10.5 as well.

If you have to use the version from sarge, you will need to run the initdb
commands from a script at the end of the FAI installation.

HTH,