Trouble With Brand New NFSROOT [SOLVED]

Toni Mueller support-fai at oeko.net
Wed Sep 6 17:08:26 CEST 2006

Hello,

On Wed, 06.09.2006 at 13:06:12 +0200, Henning Sprang <henning_sprang at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Toni Mueller <support-fai at oeko.net> wrote:
> >Btw, it seems as if the kernel was built with gcc-4.1 (= built on
> >testing/unstable instead of stable)
> Do I get it right - you say here the fai-kernels package we provide
> there is built on etch, but meant to run on sarge, which doesn't work?

I guessed something similar, but in the meantime could resolve the
problem.

First off, the packages I use are from the FAI repository at Cologne
university, as recommended by Thomas Lange. This also holds for the
fai-kernels package with which I experienced the problem. I thought
they were for Sarge, but otoh could not find gcc-4.1 in Sarge anywhere.

When I tried to use the suggested package from Ubuntu (took me a while
to find it), I discovered that I can have only one kernel installed
using fai-kernels. Just FYI - I'd like the ability to have multiple
kernels available in parallel better and thus took to manually
unpacking the archive and moving files by hand.

At last I found out why I experienced the problem while reading this
message:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-fai@rrz.uni-koeln.de/msg03795.html

IOW, the reason was that I have forgotten to update the vmlinz-install
file on the TFTP server. But one question remains: Why should I need to
restart the DHCP and TFTP servers when I change the install kernel?

So, I can boot and "partially install" again - now I'm back at finding
out why no kernel gets installed (yielding an unbootable machine). 8-((

Best,
--Toni++