trouble running fai-cd (fai 3.1.1 etch)

Thu Nov 30 13:05:04 CET 2006

    > i grabbed the fai cd (FAI 3.1.1, etch) and installed a faiserver with it. I have added some configs and now i want to create a new install-cd with fai-cd, but i get this error:
    > ERROR: mkinitrd-cd not found. Please install package.
    > But mkinitrd-cd is not available in etch. Is fai-cd broken in 3.1.1 for etch ?
Yes. You have to copy your etch nfsroot, mirror (created by
fai-mirror) and config space to a sarge system where you can use
fai-cd to build an ISO image. I'm thinking of creating a sarge
chroot tarball so people can use this chroot on etch to build the
fai-cd.

In the future (but after the etch release) fai-cd will use
initramfs-tools instead of mkinitrd-cd. You can also have a look at
holgers fai cd using live-package technique.