setting up nfsroot on server whose ubuntu release differs from server's release doesn't work...

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Thu Nov 23 14:53:25 CET 2006

On 11/22/06, wtautz <wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> [...]
> I ran debootstrap by hand and it told me no edgy script in
>
> ls -al /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/
>
> which is indeed the case.... I guess I can create my own?

In generel, the debootstrap version that comes with a distribution and
it's specific version, mostly only is able to install the exact
distribution it comes with properly - often, not even older versions
work properly (e.g. If I remember correctly, I had troubles
bootstrapping sarge on Ubuntu Breezy, even if the scripts where there)

You can install the debootstrap version of the distribution and versin
you want to install.
Or, if you have to change often, and dont want to change the
debootstrap package again and again, look at the fai subversion
repository.
As part of the sources of the fai-distributions package which I made,
there are some scripts that make it easy to run multiple debootstrap
versions in parallel, without installing always the right version.
It's a bit of a hack, certainly could be done a nicer way (from
implementation, usage is quite nice, I'd say, but I have not got much
feedback yet) but the only other/real clean solution would be, when
the debootstrap developers would split the package in a generic part
and a specific part for a spcecific distribution, then you could
install debootsttrap-generic, and then for each distrbution version
the needed scripts like debootstrap-scripts-sarge,
deboostrap-scripts-edgy, and so on.

But until now, I failed to make such a proposal for the deboosttrap developers.

Henning