Script Detection of Processor Architecture

Larry Lindsey gtg306b at prism.gatech.edu
Tue May 23 22:18:44 CEST 2006

I have kernels compiled for p3, p3-smp, p4, p4-smp, 586mmx, k8, and k8-smp.

Essentially, I'd like to be able to detect which selection under Processor Type
in the kernel source config is best compatible with the running processor.  It'd
be nice to detect SMP, as well, and I'm not sure if cpuinfo can detect multiple
processors if the kernel is a uniprocessor build.

I'm wondering if there might be a way to make the distinction based on the cpu
flags, like sse2 or mmxext and so forth.

What would you suggest?

Thanks,
Larry