fai and backports.org

David Riddle driddle at gmail.com
Tue May 16 01:50:04 CEST 2006

On 5/15/06, Paavo Pokkinen <paveq2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, pinning would be correct method to install backports. But how do you pin
> x-window-system? Do you have to pin each x-window-system's depency packages
> by hand?

Yes you have to pin all of the backport.org dependencies of the
x-window-system that also exist in the sarge repository. Packages that
do not exist in the sarge repository such as xserver-xorg do not need
to be pinned, fai will install them fine; but packages such as xlib
must be pinned. Here are the packages I have pinned for
x-window-system-core:

Package: lsb-base
Pin: release a=sarge-backports
Pin-Priority: 1000

Package: xfree86-common
Pin: release a=sarge-backports
Pin-Priority: 1000

Package: xlibs
Pin: release a=sarge-backports
Pin-Priority: 1000

Package: xserver-common
Pin: release a=sarge-backports
Pin-Priority: 1000

xfree86-common was the one that gave me the most trouble because I did
not realize that backport.org had a xfree86-common package. If you do
not install xfree86-common though from backport.org then installing
almost any x app from sarge will break xorg because fai/apt will try
to install xfree86-common from sarge which will of course conflict
with xorg.

> Oh hum replying to myself again ok this patch from base 2.10.1 for
> saner(tm) backport and other distro handling, the first line after
> the fai bit is the dsitro.
P.S.S.Camp <P.S.S.Camp at kent.ac.uk>

You should file the first patch as bug report since PACKAGE install
not handling package/distro is a bug from what I understand. I
certainly hope both of your patches are included in the next update
for fai they are needed.

David Riddle