2.6 kernels, initrd and /sys

David Riddle driddle at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 19:54:51 CET 2006

> What happens if you install initramfs-tools -- does it work without /sys being
> mounted? Actually I haven't installed a system since linux-image-2.6.15 has
> entered testing, thus I were not aware of this problem until today...
Michael Tautschnig <michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com>

I have also tried installing a kernel from backports with FAI and had
the same problem. I tried kernel version 2.6.14. Installing
initramfs-tools does fix the problem and you do not need to mount
/sys.

Ref: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2005/12/msg00004.html

According to the above link if you use the 2.6.8 kernel for the FAI
install you do not need initramfs-tools. I have not tried that myself
but probably will soon if that works I will give an update.

David Riddle
driddle at gmail.com