MENU question/problem

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Tue Mar 14 22:31:02 CET 2006

> I would like to ask for the IP address, the hostname,
> and additionally, some of the software that is being
> installed later on (say mysql) needs a root password,
> I would like it (FAI) to ask like 15-20 questions at
> the very beginning (menu.lst) and then use that info
> to "fill in the blanks" during the install.

Ok, let us clarify a few things. menu.lst is what grub uses as the boot
configuration. This is probably not the right point to ask all these questions,
you could only set some variables there. Rather, you will want to use something
like the proposed 30menu.source. What about your knowledge of bash and/or perl?
You will have to adapt one of the scripts posted earlier as most probably none
of them will provide all the features you need.

Furthermore, why do you want to set them interactively, can't you do it a
priori? That would make things a lot easier.

Let us assume you get the questions asked and answered, reusing the answers is a
very different matter. You will have to check that for each of your questions,
probably debconf is something that will become very important here.

Regards,