xen and fai

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Fri Jun 16 13:27:11 CEST 2006

> >>mapper/itext is a LUN that is exported by our SAN.
> >>

> >Thanks; do you have any pointers since when Xen should support
> >partitioning from
> >within the dom-U? AFAIK that simply isn't supported...
>
> We are using a recent xen
> Package: xen-hypervisor-3.0-amd64
> Source: xen-3.0
>
> I can manually use fdisk in my virtual domain to partition the disk.

Cool - nice to know!

> This the error I get in my fai.log:
>
> sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
>  /dev/sda: unrecognized partition table type
> No partitions found

Hmm - I wonder why this causes the partitioning to fail!? A quote from one of my
installations of a "normal" system, actually a dom-0:
Partitioning local harddisks
setup_harddisks version 0.35fai
Probing disks:  /dev/sda
Disks found: sda
sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
 /dev/sda: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

Using config file: /fai/disk_config/XEN0
Creating partition table: LC_ALL=C sfdisk -q  /dev/sda < /tmp/fai/partition.sda

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
 /dev/sda: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found
Creating file systems:
  mke2fs -q -j /dev/sda1
  mkswap  /dev/sda2
  mke2fs -q -j /dev/sda3
  mke2fs -q -j /dev/sda5
  mke2fs -q -j /dev/sda6
  mke2fs -q -j /dev/sda7
  mke2fs -q -j /dev/sda8
  mke2fs -q -j /dev/sda9
  mke2fs -q -j /dev/sda10
  mke2fs -q -j /dev/sda11
Write fstab to /tmp/fai/fstab
Write FAI variables to file /tmp/fai/disk_var.sh
Calling task_mountdisks
So it is telling me the same, but nevertheless continues to work; actually it is
to be expected that there is not partition table on a new set of harddisks...

HTH,