fai and 64 bit

Thu Jun 8 15:47:05 CEST 2006

    > The fai-kernel don't have my hard disk drivers compiled into it.  I have
    > this:

    > CONFIG_FUSION=y
    > CONFIG_FUSION_SPI=y
    > CONFIG_FUSION_FC=y
    > CONFIG_FUSION_SAS=y
    > CONFIG_FUSION_MAX_SGE=128
    > CONFIG_FUSION_CTL=y
    > CONFIG_FUSION_LAN=y

IMO we have it as kernel modules. But maybe discover does not detect
your disk controller and does not load the needed module. This is a
workaround for fai-cd where you can't adjust the
/fai/class/20-hwdetect script.

boot the fai-cd

short after the red fai logo appears, quickly type alt-F2 to get
another shell

there type modprobe ...., so the kernel module get loaded before
setup_harddisks is started ( which does not find your disk withoout

It would be good to have a new variable on the kernel command line, to
specify additional kernel modules for the fai-cd. Or even better we
need some sort of expert mode on fai-cd which waits before calling
setup_harddisks, so the expert can switch to a shell, load kernel
modules, and then continues to the normal fai run.