setup_harddisks doesn't find any disk

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Wed Jul 26 09:20:11 CEST 2006

> Hi,
>
> thanks for your answer.
> I started my client with the boot cd-rom and then checked that they are
> files in /dev, and yes, I can see all the devices (regarding hard drive
> I've got hdx and sdx)
>
> Kernel version :
> 2.6.16-fai-kernels #1 smp
>
> My hardware :
> I'm using an amd 64 3000+ with a gigabyte motherboard :

[...]
> IDEamd74xx  10de0054YesnVidia CorporationCK804 Serial ATA
> Controllersata_nv  10de0055YesnVidia CorporationCK804 Serial ATA
> Controllersata_nv  10de005c-nVidia CorporationCK804 PCI Bridge

[...]
> What I don't understand is why it is the same thing for an ide and sata
> file ?
> It is like the modules are not loading ?

I don't know whether the modules aren't loading or the controller isn't
supported/the modules aren't provided by that kernel - Holger, could you help?

IDE vs. SATA probably won't make any difference as it is the controller (which
is probably the same for both), which isn't supported.

HTH,