Kernel panic after Unpacking initramfs

Russel Hill russh347 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 20:08:11 CEST 2006

We already have a custom kernel for our installed systems. I was
hoping to turn on some config options and be able to use the same
kernel for our fai CDs. I turned in CRAMFS and BLK_DEV_INITRD. When I
boot in this configuration, I get the following:

Unpacking initramfs...<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: no cpio magic

If I set KERNELPACKAGE to the packaged 2.6 fai kernel. The
installation goes reasonably well except for some complaints when
setting up autofs. Here's the complaint:

Starting automounter: loading autofs4 kernel module,FATAL: Could not
load /lib/modules/2.6.16-fai-kernels/modules.dep: No such file or
directory

I know why it can't find the modules. The fai kernel is only installed on the CD

It seems I am either too tired or too ignorant to figure out what I've
done wrong (and google wasn't as much help as I was hoping).