debootstrap: security updates

Christoph Mitasch christoph.mitasch at fh-hagenberg.at
Tue Jan 31 17:42:52 CET 2006

Hi Michael!

Thanks for your reply.
I solved the issue today.

Here are the details:

The problem was that the function "delete_base_packages" in the
"fai-mirror" script removes all packages that are already included in
base.tgz. This function removed a security-updated package from the
fai-mirror.

Now when "task_instsoft" tried to install a package that depends on the
security-updated one, it failed because of a dependency to the newer
version of the updated package existed.
That updated package was not installed through "task_extrbase" and not
updated through "task_updatebase" since the fai-mirror didn't contain
the security-updated package.

Ok and now the concrete case.

When installing with fai-cd it fails at "task_instsoft" with the
following error:
"perl: Depends: perl-base (= 5.8.4-8sarge3) but 5.8.4-8 is to be
installed"

The reason for that is that the "perl-base 5.8.4-8" package was already
installed through "base.tgz" and that "perl-base 5.8.4-8sarge3" was
removed through "delete_base_packages" from the fai-mirror.

I think the "delete_base_packages" function should be reworked so it
does not remove security updates.
At the moment it removes packages with that command, where $p is a name
from base-pkgs.lis (e.g. perl-base)
# rm $archivedir/${p}_*.deb

There is a option "-a"for fai-mirror that solved my problem.
"-a     Add packages included in base.tgz and packages defined in
make-fai-nfsroot.conf to the mirror."

And now I'm just happy that it works again ;)

Christoph