Install nodes with re-configured kernel image

Brian Showalter bshowalter at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 00:23:52 CET 2006

--- Brian Showalter <bshowalter at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> 4. For the new system's kernel I need to go back to the kernel
> source, set CONFIG_ROOT_NFS to "N" and compile it into a fresh .deb

I'm happy to report that I've finally been successful at getting a
customized kernel to install and boot on the client machine.
Creating two separate kernels - one for the initial FAI boot with a
NFS root and another for post-install client booting without a NFS
root - was the key to this whole thing.  However, I did run into one
glitch with step #4 when I did the first post-install boot using the
second kernel.  Turned out that the configuration in the fai-kernels
packages sets up the ext3 and ide* drivers as modules rather than
compiling them into the kernel as is necessary when the root
filesystem is on those devices, and I continued to get kernel panics
until I finally realized what was going on and compiled a new client
kernel with the drivers built in.

I've written up a pretty detailed summary of all this in case
anyone's interested in the gory details.  If so, just let me know.

Many thanks to everyone who helped me figure all this out!  :)