Install nodes with re-configured kernel image

Gavin Tran gavintran at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:03:58 CET 2006

On 1/16/06, Michael Tautschnig <michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com> wrote:
> > >     > Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up
> > >     > VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
> > >     > VFS: Cannot open root device "hda8" or unknown-block(2,0)
> > >     > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > >     > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs or
> > >     > unknown-block(2,0)
> >
> > I got a similar error kernel panic, but not for NFS but about the sda.
> >
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
> >  Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> >  Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> >
> >  The modilfied 2.6.8 kernel seems not recognize my SATA drive. This
> > happened for only the modified 2.6.8 kernel. The new fresh kernel
> > installed from apt-get is ok. But that has some trouble with drivers.
> >
> > I've tried to reconfigure kernel with maximum SATA support. I even
> > tried to patch it with libata
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/
> >
> Which SATA controller is it? What is the "new fresh kernel"? How did you build
> your custom 2.6.8 kernel?

I got this from lspci

0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7
Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=IDE (rev 01)

fresh kernel means i fai install the kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386 from
local deb mirror when i didn't specify it to install modified kernel.
The kernel which install by default as a new machine.

I built custom 2.6.8 kernel by create deb package by
make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --append-to-version -custom --revision 2
kernel-image