Install nodes with re-configured kernel image

Brian Showalter bshowalter at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 16 05:45:42 CET 2006

--- Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE> wrote:

> <bshowalter at sbcglobal.net> said:
>
>     > Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up
>     > VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
>     > VFS: Cannot open root device "hda8" or unknown-block(2,0)
>     > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>     > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs or
>     > unknown-block(2,0)
> Which should be your root device?
> Do you need special device driver to access your drive which hold
> the
> root partition? Then append the name of the kernel module to
> /etc/modules. Therefore you can use the variable $moduleslist in a
> *.var file.

The root should be on /dev/hda8, and the /boot partition is on
/dev/hda1. This is on a standard IDE drive.

I tried adding the ide-disk module to the $moduleslist variable in
/usr/share/fai/class/FAIBASE.var, ran make-fai-nfsroot again and then
did another install which also resulted in the same kernel panic.  I
then tried compiling and setting up a custom kernel with the IDE disk
driver explicitly built in, same results.