Install nodes with re-configured kernel image

Brian Showalter bshowalter at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 15 13:47:18 CET 2006

--- Michael Tautschnig <michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com> wrote:

> > 1. Uncomment FAI_LOCAL_REPOSITORY in
> /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf
> > and set it to "deb file:/fai/files packages/".
> Why don't you use the KERNELPACKAGE variable in
> make-fai-nfsroot.conf?

I do have the KERNELPACKAGE variable set to the same .deb file.
However, that is only used for the initial boot of the install client
*before* FAI installs the OS, and it does not set up the client to
boot that same kernel *after* the install is complete.  Since I need
to boot a custom-compiled kernel in both situations (the mptscsi*
drivers are necessary to boot a Dell 1855 blade), the kernel .deb has
to be placed into the local repository and FAI_LOCAL_REPOSITORY
activated so that it will get installed.

> > PACKAGES install I386
> > memtest86+
> > kernel-image-2.6.14-fai-kernels_1_i386
> remove _1_i386 - that's the revision and the architecture and not
> part of the packagename.

BINGO!  That did it!  Now the custom 2.6.14 kernel does get installed
and shows up in the GRUB menu after the end-of-install reboot, and
I've learned something new about package naming.  However, that
brings up another problem, as going forward with the boot produces a
kernel panic.  It seems that the kernel is still trying to mount the
root fs via NFS.  Time to get back to figuring that one out.

Thanks Michael!