Post-install boot with same kernel used to install?

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Fri Jan 6 10:04:52 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 15:20 -0800, Brian Showalter wrote:
> --- Henning Sprang <henning_sprang at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Don't know if that's the best for your case, but I just
> > successfully
> > compiled a custom FAI kernel just by following what's described
> > in /usr/share/doc/fai-kernels/README
> > Was very easy and straightforward. Actually, I took a 2.6.14 kernel
> > from
> > sid sources and it works well.
>
> That's exactly what I did as well, but the resulting kernel is
> apparently used only for the install process.  It doesn't get
> installed as the "regular" kernel that's booted up *after* the FAI
> install is done.  In my case, FAI installed a 2.6.8 kernel which did
> not work.

Oh, sorry, I did not read correctly.

The install kernel is defined in the package config of the classes
defined for your host.
There used to be a way to put custom (kernel and others packages
somewhere into the files section of the config space - I never figured
out how that works. I always put my custom packages in my own apt
repository. I am a bit on the run, if you don't find out yourself how to
create such a repository, I can tell you later...

Henning