Nonexistent disk devices require manual MAKEDEV

Brian Showalter bshowalter at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 4 17:23:15 CET 2006

--- Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE> wrote:

> <bshowalter at sbcglobal.net> said:
>
>     > One thing I've noticed is that after I run either fai-setup
> or
>     > make-fai-nfsroot, the /dev/sd* disk devices are not created
> in
>     > /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/dev. I have to go in and do a manual
> 'MAKEDEV
> This is because you are using a debootstrap version >=0.3. It's a
> know
> issue!

Thanks Thomas, this was just the key I needed!  I reverted back to
debootstrap-0.2.45-0.2, and the devices are now being created.

>     > I've scoured the documentation, searched the mailing list
> archives
>     > and Google, but to no avail.  Can anyone explain what's going
> on with
>     > this?
> grep for udev in the fai mailing list.

Been there, did that.  I found a number of references to udev in the
list archives, but had not come across any indication that
debootstrap was the actual cause of this problem.